Tuesday 1 January 2013

New Year's Reading Resolutions

Did you see yesterday that apparently the number 1 resolution in the UK is to read more books? (Buy a tablet computer was number 8. Not sure that reflects brilliantly on the population). That definitely isn't my resolution - I'm thinking yoga and dry January, predictably - but it did get me thinking about reading habits in general and what I might change.

The first thing I should change is using the library more. I always love it when I go and particularly when I request books. The grand sum of £1.20 isn't a lot to read a new hardback. And if you don't enjoy it, you can give up with impunity. Plus, local amenities: use them or lose them.

I'm aware of the irony of writing this next point on a smartphone, but I know I should read more and peck at my phone less. I know I'm more relaxed after work if I read for an hour rather than flip around sites on my phone. So why do it? I guess it's easy distraction and effort free entertainment. A bit like high calorie snack food that leaves you unsatisfied after eating it.

I'd also like to keep a better track of what I've read, which is where the blog comes in. Although it's only new, inspired by my trip to Pan Macmillan in August, I've really enjoyed writing it and hope to continue building it up this year. I could resolve to read more non fiction, or less crime - but I think I know what I enjoy, so any changes should be to habits.

What a self indulgent post! What are your New Year's Reading Resolutions?

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

1 comment:

  1. I've started a Read52 community on google, and am resolving to post at least weekly on what I'm reading. :) Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete